Oosterdok Footbridge Amsterdam

Sunset in Oosterdok. This bridge is named “Mr. J.J. Van der Veldebrug” (bridge no. 1939). It is a cycle and footbridge over the Oosterdok in Amsterdam. The bridge connects the Oosterdokseiland with the NEMO building on top of the IJtunnel. The bridge consists of two long arch bridges and has a narrow basecule bridge in the middle. St Nicholas church can be seen in the background.

Continue reading

Surprising Amsterdam – 17 Reasons to Visit NDSM

​Surprising Amsterdam – 17 Reasons to visit NDSM
You might be wondering whether Amsterdam has anything else other than museums, canals, bikes & coffeeshops. Spend a few hours at NDSM and surprises await you…
* Free ferry trip
* ​Abandoned Russian submarine
* Botel – floating hotel
* Shipping containers – housing for students
* Faralda – Hotel on a crane
* Graffiti & Street Art
* Old Amsterdam Trams
* GeWoonboot – 100% Sustainable House Boat
* Quirky Cafe – Noorderlicht
* City Beach Cafe – Pllek
* Pollux – Sailing Ship Restaurant
* Creative Artistic Hub
* Ij kantine – Contemporary Family Friendly Restaurant
* Home to MTV – You might see someone famous!
* Exhibitions & Festivals – there is a Glastonbury feel about NDSM
* Example Urban Decay & Renewal

Continue reading

Amsterdam Singel Canal – 8 Fun Facts

Amsterdam Singel Canal – 8 Fun Facts
* Singel means “Belt” or “Loop”
* created as a moat between 1428 and 1450
* an easy walk at just over 1 mile long (1800m) * very picturesque containing around 280 listed buildings. * has 11 bridges including Torensluis, the widest bridge in Amsterdam. * features it’s own Red Light District
* location of the world’s narrowest house façade – Singel 7
* home to the famous floating flower market – Bloemenmarkt

Continue reading

Former Bushuis Armoury on Amsterdam Singel

The Bushuis is an old armoury or arsenal located at Singel 423. It was built midway through the Eighty Years War in 1606 on the former a shooting range called Voetboogdoelen. Like many historic buildings in Amsterdam, the construction date is displayed on the front of the building. The new building was a replacement for the previous armoury on Kloveniersburgwal, which then became a base for the East Indies Company.

The Bushuis consisted of two very deep buildings with a shared facade at the front. The two high doors made it easy to move heavy canons in and out. However, the doors don’t appear that tall now because the level of the road has been raised over the years.

The gable is very decorative with rolls, lion masks & spheres and was designed by Hans Vredeman de Vries. These are not seen very often in amsterdam. The roof space was used to store lighter weapons such as rifles, swords and muskets.

The Bushuis has foundation walls which are one meter thick due. These help carry the enormous weight of the the weapons stored there. The ground floor walls were 50cm thick.

Just before the end of the 17th century, the arsenal had another use. The upper floors served as a home for girls aged 8 to 14 who were daughters of painters. They worked there winding imported raw silks in return for food and basic eduction.

The first floor on the Singel was a meeting room for regents and the floor above was home to the foreman.

The ground floor remained as arms storage facility until 1787, after which it was used as a stable for the horses and carriages of the cavalry and later, the royal house.
The building was renovated in 1920 by architect AA Kok and the plaster was removed from the front. The windows were reconstructed in colonial style together with shutters. Six new spheres were placed on top. The door in the middle of the house needed to remain in place because the central stairwell was still in use. The entrance disappeared around 1972 when the former armoury became part of the university library next door.

The university library had been located at Singel since 1880

Continue reading

Herengracht Canal Houses

The first few canal houses of Herengracht where it joins up with Brouwersgracht. Just five minutes walk from Amsterdam Central station. Definitely one of my favourite photo locations in the centre. The best time to visit is towards the end of a sunny day when the warm light strikes the front of the buildings.

Continue reading

Vintage Cars on Prinsengracht

Love exploring the canals in Amsterdam. I do this each week and there’s always something eye catching. There are the usual amazing well known sights such as Westerkerk. You’ll also find the occasional old-timer vintage cars, such as this 1974 Ford Consul. This beautiful city already surprises and rarely disappoints!

Continue reading

What is the meaning of XXX in Amsterdam?

Amsterdam XXX. In many places in Amsterdam you can find a symbol consisting of three vertical crosses. It can be seen on historic buildings, municipality vehicles, flags, crowns, coats of arms, canal houses, drain covers and most noticeably, on bollards (known locally as Amsterdammertjes) which stop vehicles from driving on the pavement.
Visitors may speculate whether the crosses are linked to the red-light district or X-rated shows. Indeed, many shops sell souvenirs that portray this association. However, the crosses have nothing to do with infamous adult entertainment industry. These symbols are St Andrew’s crosses also known as saltires. They have appeared on Amsterdam’s coat of arms since 1505. St. Andrew was martyred the 1st century AD and was crucified on an x shaped cross and was a fisherman. Amsterdam began as a fishing port and all ships registered there displayed the three crosses.

Continue reading

The Narrowest House in Amsterdam

Is this the narrowest house in Amsterdam? It can be found on Oude Hoogstraat right in the centre of Amsterdam, between Dam Square and the Red Light District. A few years ago, I took a canal cruise. The tour guide pointed to a house on Singel canal (Nr 7) and confidently told us that it was Amsterdam’s narrowest house. However, that house looks like it might just be the entrance for a wider house. What do you think?

Continue reading

Bartolotti Huis

Bartolotti Huis – Herengracht 170-172 The house was built around 1618 and designed by one of the finest architects of the time Hendrick de Keyser. It was built on behalf of Willem van den Heuvel, (aka Guillielmo Bartolotti) who settled in Amsterdam as head of the banking and trading house. He was then one of […]

Continue reading